Located in the western part of the Eastern Townships, in the MRC (regional county municipality) of Brome-Missisquoi, Sutton offers an enviable quality of life for its citizens and the many tourists who come to visit. The Town of Sutton is now looking for a:
Sutton is a municipality of more than 4,000 permanent residents and the holiday destination of an additional 3,500 people. It is known for its wealth of outdoor and cultural activities as well as its support for sustainable development and protection of the environment.
Under the supervision of the Director of Urbanism and Land-Use Planning, the Building Inspector is responsible for the inspection of buildings and sites, the application of various municipal by-laws and the issuance of permits and authorization certificates.
The Building Inspector will in general have to perform the following functions:
- Meet with people and give them the requested information relating to municipal and provincial regulations;
- Analyze and issue permits and authorization certificates if the application conforms to municipal by-laws and the requirements of the Act Respecting Land Use Planning, the Act Respecting the Preservation of Agricultural Land, the Environment Quality Act, the Water withdrawal and Protection Regulation and the Regulation Respecting Waste Water Disposal Systems for isolated dwellings;
- Analyze and issue authorization certificates in partnership with the CITQ for tourist homes;
- Check work done under municipal control and visit properties to ensure compliance with the municipal by-laws;
- Ensure that complaints received relating to land use planning and the environment are followed up;
- Document and issue fines when municipal by-laws are violated and represent the Town at the Municipal Court;
- Help prepare the call for the tenders and assist in applying calendar for the emptying of septic tanks located in the territory;
- At the request of the Director of Urbanism and Land-Use Planning, assist him with all other related tasks.
The candidate must:
- Have a college diploma in land use planning, in architectural technology, in civil engineering or in environmental matters or an equivalent field of expertise or any combination of experience judged as satisfactory;
- Have a minimum of 3 years’ experience in a municipal land use and inspection service:
- knowledge of the National Building Code;
- knowledge of the following software: Microsoft Office, AccèsCité – Territoire de PG Solutions;
- valid class 5 driver’s license;
- written and verbal communication skills, French and English;
- ability to exercise good judgment and common sense as well as diplomacy.
- Permanent full-time position, Monday to Friday, 8:30 am to 16:30 pm (35 hours per week);
- Salary and benefits according to the pay structure already in force.
Candidates interested in becoming part of a dynamic team should sent their curriculum vitae with cover letter before 4 p.m. on Friday, October 4th, 2019 by e-mail or by mail to the following address:
Town of Sutton
Job : Building inspector
11, South Principale Street
Sutton (Québec) J0E 2K0
The Town of Sutton would like to thank everyone who will have shown their interest. However, the Town of Sutton will only get in touch with the candidates selected for an interview.