And the winners of the 2023 Volunteer Recognition Evening are…
Last Friday, April 21, the Sutton Volunteer Recognition Evening was held. The event allowed us to thank in person the volunteers who contribute so much to the well-being of our community. Close to seventy people were present at the Auberge le Montagnard where this festive and warm evening took place.
Last March, the Town called the recognized organizations to nominate one of their volunteers who had distinguished him or herself over the past year. 14 organizations nominated 17 volunteers (one organization nominated three). The evaluation committee selected the winners in the four categories: culture, sports and recreation, community life, and youth under 30. The winners each received a gift certificate from Auberge West Brome and, for the Youth Award, a gift card from the Suttonnian company Snöbol.
To these four categories, we have added this year a special mention for the Sutton Municipal and School Library in order to thank a volunteer this year and to underline, through her, the quality of the work of all the volunteers working for the good functioning of the library. In addition, Mayor Robert Benoît wished to add, for a second year, a “Mayor’s Tribute” award which aims at recognizing a person for his or her overall volunteer achievements over a long period of time. The mayor paid tribute to two people who have done remarkable volunteer work in our community: Nicole Côté, the founder of the D’Arts et de rêves organization, who is retiring this year, and Max Gagnon who has worked with several Sutton organizations and is the instigator, among others, of the homework help program at the Sutton School.
Presentation of all nominated candidates and mention of the winners for each category:
- Sports and Recreation award
- The Coop Gym Santé : Dominique BoucherSutton Curling Club : Dora Shepard
- Parc d’environnement naturel of Sutton : Denise Ligneault – WINNER
- Arts and Culture award
- Museum of Communications and History : Pierre SurprenantBallet-Théâtre Sutton : Dashiele HaskinSutton Jazz Festival : Micheline DubucHéritage Sutton Historical Society: Carole KierulfSociété de concert Vivarté : Gen’vière Grenier
- Art Sutton : Nicole Larivée – WINNER
- Community life award
- FADOQ des Deux-Monts : Dominique MaheuxGrace Anglican Church: Cynthia PagéLa Paroisse Saint-André : Michel TournayRacine Pop : Claudia Perez- Lévesque, Élise Bourduas et Julie Lavallée
- Volunteer Centre: Nicole Fafard – WINNER
- Emerging volunteer award
- SPOT Youth Centre: Roméo Baril – WINNER
- Sutton Municipal and School Library
- Geneviève Leduc
- Mayor’s Tribute Award
- Nicole Côté, for the foundation of the organization D’Arts et de rêves and her involvement in its success during all its years
- Max Gagnon, for his involvement in several Sutton organizations
We would like to thank all the volunteers who work in our organizations and for the Town of Sutton. Through their countless hours of volunteer work, they allow our organizations and associations to live and sometimes to survive. It is with great pleasure that we count them in our ranks and benefit from the devotion and generosity of Sutton’s volunteers. Thank you for giving your free time to your town, our organizations and associations.
A big thank you to the photographer Mikaël Theimer who voluntarily provided all the pictures of the evening!