(2nd call for candidates)
Located in the Eastern Townships, the Town of Sutton is known for its splendid landscapes, its cultural activities and its focus on sustainable development. The Town is currently looking for a Town Clerk to join forces with its team..
Nestled in the Brome-Missisquoi MRC, this charming municipality with more than 4,000 permanent residents and over 3,500 part-time residents offers you the opportunity to advance your practice of municipal law!!
This is also an opportunity for a new and stimulating career challenge!
Under the authority of the Director general, the Town Clerk is responsible for planning, organizing, directing, controlling and coordinating all activities related to the management of the legal services as well those of the Town Clerk’s office. More specifically, the Town Clerk must perform the following duties:
- Manage the Town’s legal matters and the do the legal follow-up of the decision-making process of the Municipal Council;
- Assist and advise management personnel and the Council in the interpretation and application of various laws, by-laws, rulings or other legal matters;
- Provide advice and guidance on municipal law issues and regarding the management of the Town Clerk’s service;
- Prepare the meetings of the Municipal Council, participate in them, write up the minutes and ensure the follow-ups;
- Prepare and publish legal notices required by Law; Conduct various legal research; Handle requests for access to Town documents;
- Assume the management and preservation of the municipal archives;
- Oversee external mandates of a legal nature;
- Administer the portfolio of insurances and manage the different claims;
- Manage the procedure for the non-payment of taxes;
- Ensure that procedures relating to municipal elections and referendums are run smoothly and act as Election President;
- Supervise and direct two unionized employees;
- Prepare and administer the budget of the Town Clerk’s service;
- Assume any other administrative mandate entrusted by his/her immediate superior.
Required qualifications and training:
- University Law degree or a college (CEGEP) Diploma in legal studies with a few years of relevant experience;
- Minimum of five (5) years of relevant municipal experience handling similar responsibilities;
- Be a member of the COMAQ (considered an asset);
- Very good knowledge of Quebec municipal laws and regulations;
- Known for professional thoroughness, effectiveness and discretionary skills;
- Sense of tact, diplomacy and a strong sense of ethics;
- Autonomous and skilled in interpersonal relationships;
- Ability to draft legal documents and regulations, in-depth knowledge of French, an aptitude for oral and written communications;
- Good knowledge of English;
- Excellent command of MS Office suite software (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook); Knowledge of Syged and Édilex software (considered an asset).
Terms and conditions:
- Permanent position, full-time (35 hours/week);
- Competitive salary with full benefits package;
- Council meeting and occasional meetings are held in the evening;
- Working environment that values a good work-life balance;
- An opportunity to carry out diverse and rewarding projects.
Applications must be submitted on-line: https://www.briorh.com/greffier-greffiere-2496/
Only successful candidates will be contacted for an interview.