Services aux citoyens
Septic tank emptying
Concerned about adequately protecting public health and the environment, the Town of Sutton has instituted a systematic emptying program for septic tanks every two years for permanent residences and secondary residences, in accordance with the Regulation respecting waste water disposal systems for isolated dwellings Environment Quality Act (Q-2, r.22), as well as our municipal By-Law entitled “Règlement numéro 172 établissant un service de vidange périodique des boues de fosses septiques” (in French only).
The mandated contractor, Beauregard Environnement Ltée, will proceed with the emptying of the septic tanks by sector according to the schedule established with the Urban and Land-use Planning Department. Residents will be notified by mail of the dates scheduled in their sector but can also refer to the schedule below.
- Emptying will take place between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m.
- Your presence is not mandatory; you will be given a document attesting that the work has been done.
- You do not have to pay the contractor directly, as this service is billed to your tax bill.
No later than the SUNDAY before the week of emptying, you must ensure that the following instructions are followed:
- Clear the two (2) lids from your septic tank leaving a free space at least 15 cm (6 inches) wider and deeper than the lid. Remove the screws holding the plastic covers, if applicable. You don't have to lift the lids, the contractor takes care of opening and closing them.
- Clearly identify the location of the septic system using a post or marker to make it easier to locate.
- If you have a Bionest type system fitted with a pump, the pump must be stopped before emptying. A notice should be left near the tank to indicate that the pump is off.
- For a septic system equipped with a pre-filter, the contractor can clean it when emptying if you leave a garden hose nearby.
- The land around the septic tank must be free of all obstacles: ornaments, toys, etc.
- The site must be safe and accessible (dog tied up, fence unlocked, etc.). The building address must be visible from the public road.
- A service area intended to receive the vacuum truck must be located 40 meters (131 feet) or less from the septic system and have minimum clearance to allow the truck to pass. In some cases, a road can serve as a service area. If more than 100 feet (30 meters) of hoses are required, please contact the contractor.
CAUTION: You are required to clear the tank covers on the date indicated by the contractor. You may be charged $100 by the Town via the contractor, if the truck has to return a second time for emptying.
Special situation: Please advise the contractor of any special situation that may affect their service (e.g. presence of a gate, recent laying of asphalt, etc.), or if you are unable to have your septic tank pumped for a particular reason.
If you have any other questions, please contact the Urban and Land-use Planning Department by e-mail at [email protected] or by telephone at 450 538-2290, extension 229.
We thank you in advance for your cooperation.