Important reminder from our garbage collection service
We wish to remind Sutton residents of the correct procedures to follow for the proper collection of household waste, recycling and compost:
- Do not leave heavy objects on garbage-bin lids. The workers responsible for collecting our garbage can be injured in the course of their job by the heavy objects used to weigh bins closed. While we appreciate the desire of residents to prevent animals from raiding their bins, please be sure to remove any weights or straps keeping the lids down before the truck passes by.
- Do not fill your garbage bins to overflowing. Full bins must not exceed 91 kg (200 lb); in addition, lids must be able to close.
- Do not leave garbage bags or other waste next to your bin (see photo), as they will not be picked up.
- Do not leave your bins on the side of the road except on collection day. Place full bins on the roadside between 7 p.m. the day before and 5 a.m. on the morning of collection. Empty bins must be removed from the roadside within 8 hours of the truck passing by and certainly before 9 p.m. the same day. Absent residents must make the necessary arrangements (such as asking a neighbour or hiring someone) to comply with this instruction.
- Clear snow from your bins before the truck passes by.
- Position your brown compost bin with the wheels facing the house, in order to enable the compost truck’s automatic mechanical arm to pick the bin up and dump its contents. If the bins are not facing the right direction, the bin cover may be damaged and replacements are at resident’s expense.
The employees of the garbage collection service reserve the right not to collect bins from homes that do not respect these instructions as well as the general rules of By-law 222 concerning waste collection on the territory of Sutton (in French only). Violation notices and fines may be issued to offenders.
Thank you in advance for your collaboration!